Welcome to the Mobile Bay Times, an electronic magazine devoted to the politics, people, places, issues and history, food and good times in the Mobile Bay area. Please check back for regular updates, features and commentary. Subscribe for just 16 cents a day. Ad slots available for every budget.
In Baldwin battle for bucks,
district attorney field Green
Novice candidate raises more money
than other three GOP hopefuls combined
By Chip Drago
Mobile Bay Times
Magnolia Springs attorney David Green raised more money than his three opponents combined and entered the final six weeks of the Baldwin County district attorney's race with almost twice as much money on hand as incumbent Baldwin County District Attorney Judy Newcomb, according to campaign financial disclosures filed with the Secretary of State.
Green raised $50,540, including more than $16,000 from relatives and supporters in Louisiana, and showed an ending balance of $40,189.33 after spending $38,700.67.
Newcomb generated contributions of $22,817 and had a balance of $21,537.68 including a personal loan of $10,000 to her campaign. Her campaign spent $24,824.32.
Former Newcomb assistant, Silverhill native Hallie Scott Dixon, who more recently has served as an assistant attorney general, raised $17,748.41 and finished with a balance of $4,944.91 after expenditures of $22,396.53.
Eastern Shore attorney Ken Hitson, also a former assistant attorney general, raised $7,715 after becoming the fourth GOP candidate for the office. He spent $7,098.57, leaving his campaign a balance of $2,616.43 which reflects a personal loan of $2,000.
Contributors to the GOP hopefuls' campaigns included:
- Lawrence Green, $10,000; Moniotte Investment, $500; Stranco, $500; David and Marlene Allgood, $1,000; Morgan and Allison Ashurst, $150;
- Daniel C. Deese, $150; Jones Walker Waechter Poitevent Carrere, $500; Frances Holk Jones, $500; Bobby or Judy Faust, $500;
- Bobby Faust or Bobby Faust Jr., $500; Bobby Faust, $500; Shaler Houser, $1,000; D.B. and Elizabeth Ramsey, $150; Carl J. Jones, $300;
- Louise Taylor, $300; James W. or Ella Mae Anderson, $300; Amanda and John Houser, $300; Charles Houser, $300; Charlie Houser for Jen and Mark Kramer, $300; David Wilson Masonry, $300;
- John P. and Joan Farrell Jr., $500; Freeman Collison Center, $200; Richard D Jenkins, $250; Robert and Priscilla Anderson, $200;
- Robert and Pamela Baschab, $200; Charles and Betty Carnel, $500; Carlisle and Patty Childress, $200; Robert Clayton Holk, $200;
- Shaler Houser, $500; Jimmy Ladner, $200; Adrian Longcrier, $200; Robert Malone, Cynthia Malone or Frank Malone, $300; Marilyn or R.W. Richardson, $1,000;
- H.H. and K.D. Underwood, $300; J. Coleman Bryars, $300; William H. Easterling, $500; The Wash House Restaurant, $150;
- Larry C. and Patsy S. Tomlinson Jr., $300; Julian Byron Brackin, III, $500; Cole Ladner, $2,500; Gene and Mary Bouchillon, $500;
- John E. and Linda Koniar, $200; McMillan & Associates, $250; Gardner F. or Margaret W. Goodwyn Jr., $500; Rawson Trucking, $500;
- R&S Paving & Grading, $500; Frank L. Reed, Jr., $100; Patrick W. Bussey III, $200; Estate of June Collier Fletcher, $400; Patricia R. Ritchey, $100;
- J. Tyler Turner III or G. Eran Clark-Turner, $5,000; Sean David Ritchey, $100; Lauren N. Ritchey, $100; Matthew D. Williams, $100;
- Ronald D. Simpkins Jr., $250; Charles S. and Janie P. Houser, $500; Robert D. Anderson, $2,500; Priscilla G. Anderson, $2,500;
- Ken Nayman and Sandra Nayman, $50; Carl and Jeanne Gibson, $5,000; Ann Braswell, $50; Andrew Braswell, $50; Michael C. Niemeyer and Staci G. Niemeyer, $150.
- David Bagwell, $100; Brett Anderson, $150; Larry Milstid, $400; Thomas and Jane Henderson, $500; Spencer Davis, $200;
- Allen Cox, $500; Larry and Candice Snedeker, $200; Mr. and Mrs. Michael Connell, $150; Ernest Berger, $100; Ron Wilhelm, $100;
- Allen Cox Jr., $250; Walt Lindsey, $350; Haymes Snedeker, $500; Sharon Hoiles, $200; Larry and Ann Sims, $300; James and Carolyn Griggs, $1,000;
- William and Ruth Prendergast, $250; John and Phyllis Klump, $50; J.A. Culbreth, $150; Matthew Rone, $100; James and Andrea Lay, $100;
- Joseph and Della Mauro, $50; Carol and John Gordon, $50; Henry and Kathryn Seawall, $50; Steven and Crispen Solberg, $50; Champ and Anne Meyercord, $100;
- Prasad Valay, $500; Frances Taber, $25; David and Deborah Broome, $25; Clifton and Willie Byrd, $50; Genie and Jerry Graham, $200;
- Benjamin Butzbaugh, $100; Gregory Breedlove, $500; Stephen and Sharon Olen, $2,000; William and Helen Barnett, $100;
- Mr. and Mrs. Clay Swanzy, $250; Floyd Enfinger, $500; Michael Pylant, $400; David Wirtes Jr., $1,000; William and Ann Scully, $250;
- John T. Crowder Jr., $750; Irene Meehan, $150; Terry Thompson, $500; Camille Seafood, $300; Dr. H.C. and Norma Mullins, $500;
- Prudential Nichols Real Estate, $200; T.E. Mitchell, $250; Robert Nichols III, $100; David and Diane Daniell, $150; Marianne Lott, $100; Nyla Smith, $50;
- Wilters Campaign, $500; Dr. Marshall Shoemaker, $250; Taylor Wilkins, $333.33; Ken Raines, $333.33; Bayless Biles, $333.33;
- Mr. and Mrs. Frank Burt, $2,500; Tom Mitchell, $500; Bill Mitchell, $2,000; Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge 60, $500; Claud and Anita Clark, $250;
- Greg Hughes, $350; Trade Winds, $1,000; Taylor & Taylor, $2,400; TMS, $2,400; Diane Foster, $250; Max Hansen, $500;
- Katherine M. Thomas, $150; BLT EMC, $500; Robert E. McAlister, $300; Taylor Farms, $1,000; Alice Federick, $100;
- Mary Jane Meadows, $1,000; Joseph and Melmot Shaw, $100; Dana and Debra Lee, $100; Leonard and Sharon Smoot, $500;
- Jack Dixon, $100; Joanne Wilson, $500; Lyclies, Nelos and Vielos, $250; Hot Dogs A+ Courthouse Fundraiser, $500 miscellaneous;
- Derek Rose, $150; Diane and Buford Foster, $250; 23 or so miscellaneous unidentified contributors of amounts varying from $10 to $100.
- Shane Robinson, $100; Robert Jordan, $50; Erby Communication, $200; Bill Barnhill, $200; Rodney or Marianne Young, $1,000; Rose and Pat White, $50.
- Jim and Sue Whitten, $1,000; Wilma and Jean Hitson, $1,000; Mark Wolfe, $500; James Knox Boteler III, $250; Bruce and Debra Kamp, $200;
- Tim and Shelly Davis, $100; Tracey and Cindy Lemoine, $100; Cypress Point, $250; Stewart Howard, $250;
- Bushido Productions, $125; John Utsey dba Utsey & Utsey, $500; Kevin Matthew Robson, $150; Mark Ulmer, $250;
- Michael McGlothren, $500; Robert and Jill Askelson, $300; Ed Massey, $500; Matt Metcalfe, $500; Greg Kuhlmann/Friends to Elect Greg Kuhlman, $200;
- Angela Fagan, $150; Austin Hopkins, $100; Normond McAllister, $500; Sonya Goolsby, $200.
The GOP primary is June 1.