Brooks to launch Senate try
Mobile City Councilman Ben Brooks will kick off his campaign for the state Senate, District 35 seat with a rally and barbecue Tuesday, April 18 from 5-7 p.m. at his campaign headquarters, 5238-E Patmos Plaza on Highway 90 West across from Mobile Lumber.
Brooks will face former state Sen. George Callahan in the Republican primary June 6. The winner will challenge Democratic incumbent state Sen. Gary Tanner in the general election Nov. 7.
Brooks would surrender his City Council seat only if he is successful in becoming south Mobile County's state senator.
A Mobile attorney, Brooks and his wife, Kathy, have three children: Megan, 20; Ben, 19; and Elizabeth, 15. Brooks has resided in the Dog River area of Mobile almost his entire life. He is a member of Cypress Shores Baptist Church.
He joined the Mobile City Council in 2001
after defeating the two-term incumbent,
Brooks is a 1976 graduate of Theodore
High School, a 1980 graduate of the Univer-
sity of South Alabama; and a 1983 graduate
of the University of Alabama Law School.
Brooks is chairman of the City Council's
Members of the honorary host committee for the event include:
- Mobile County Law Enforcement Association (MCLEA), Local #1349 Mobile Firefighters, Alabama Police Benevolent Association;
- Albert Laird, Greg Saad, Betty Livingston Gepsen, Joe and Debbie Downey, Rev. Randy Johnson, Glenda Bullard, Vaughn Drinkard, Bob Bickert;
- Bob Nicholson, Rebecca and Ebb Smith, Dr. Mike and Stella Reindl, Dr. Gabe Chamblin, Bill Cantwell, Robert P. Denniston, Marva Carter, Cliff Nell;
- Bruce Rogers, Florence Hupf, Bob Story, Bill and Ella James, Rev. Howard and Gloria Johnson, Sr., John Coburn, Art Cross, John Kirby, Bud Thomas;
- Selwyn Turner, Richard N. Twilley Sr., Frank and Donna Brown, Chuck and Linda Stefan, Paul Wesch, John Saint, Dr. Karen Frye, Meg and Steve Cobb;
- Bill and Perrin Drew, Michael Knight, Hank and Roland Harris, L. Bratton Rainey III, Paul Persons, Buddy Persons, Dr. and Mrs. Glenn Porter, Jerry and Terry Lathan;
- Sandy Stimpson, W. Davis Pilot Jr., Jim Atchison, Jim and Becky Bell, Jim and Judy Chappelle, Bernie Heggeman, Johnny Hatcher, Dr. Jim Spires, Butch Stallings;
- Dr. James Green, Mr. and Mrs. J. Tyler Turner, III, Mickey and Gayle Champon, Rod Cooke, Charlie Crawford, Steve Greene, Paul Klotz, Dr. Robert L. Kominek;
- Lamar Lee, Ken and Emily McElhaney Sr., Clyde and Ida Jenkins, Omar Smith, Louise Padgett, Bob and Shirley Shearer, Jim Garner, Bud and Joan Thomas;
- Art Slack, Greg Looney, Will and Virginia Bridges, Charles and Lynn Bridges, Logan Gewin, Rick Collins, Bob and Buffy Donlon, Mike and Marcia Millican;
- Dr. and Mrs. Bob Evans, Dr. and Mrs. Bill O'Neal, Patrick Downing, Art and Marilyn Culpepper, John and Joy Wiggins, George and Alice Carwie, Doug Freeman;
- Bestor Ward, Ben H. Brooks Jr. and Faye Brooks, Kathy, Megan, Benjamin and Elizabeth Brooks, Dr. Maureen Baldy and John C. Williams;
- Dr. Michael Lasecki and Mary Lasecki, Eddie Upchurch, Chuck and Victoria Stapleton, Palmer Hamilton, Richard Weavil, Matt McDonald, Lee Hale;
- Tonya O'Rear, Roy Clark, Dr. Nick Nicholls, Tom and Molly Nolan, Clovise Parker, Mark Nix, Mimi Fearn, Nathan and Joanie Friedlander, Rick Twilley;
- James P. Green, D. Scott Wright, Morningside Community Action Group, Kennon and Lisa Drew, Bill and Betty Yeager, Gavin Bender, Bill and Aleen Calloway;
- Rob and Deborah Casiano, Barbara and Roy Price, Martha Rose Hester, Dewey W. Ellard, Craig and Elizabeth Mayrose, A.C. Davis, Lester Zirlott and Aaron Zirlott.
The rally will be catered by Dick Russell's Bar-B-Q.
For more information call 661-0266.