Rich campaign primed
for late media blitz
By Chip Drago
Mobile Bay Times
A week before the election, Mobile mayoral candidate Bess Rich's campaign showed a balance of $64,428.72, according to her final pre-election financial report.
The disclosure showed expenditures of slightly more than $66,000 for the approximate 40-day period leading up to the election Aug. 23.
Mrs. Rich, a former city councilwoman representing District 6 in City Hall for two terms, entered the filing period with a balance of $115,809.11.
She is vying with former state Sen. Ann Bedsole, District 7 City Councilman John Peavy and Mobile County Commissioner Sam Jones to succeed Mayor Mike Dow. Dow has chosen to leave office after four terms to pursue an opportunity in private business.
Among Mrs. Rich's leading contributors were:
- William E. Wilkerson, $250; Mark S. Brown, $500; Jane Willey, $100; D.M. Owen, $250;
- Shirley B. Mudd, $100; Saunders Lee or Carolyn Hupp, $250; Spencer and Maureen Frost III, $100; Airport Package Store, $100;
- FCC PAC, $1,000; Kamal Constantine, $100; A.S. Friedlander, $100; Robert E. Whitlock, $100; Philip J. Butera, $150;
- Emily W. McGough, $250; Lawrence A. Rathbun, $250; Steven J. and Carmen Duquette, $150;
- L. Ellis and Mary L. Lord, $200; Dorothy C. Martin, $300; Nannetee M. and Michael Worel, $500; Courtyard Antiques, $100;
- Bratton and Bobbie Rainey, $1,000; Charles F. and Barbara A. Sleeman, $100; Steven K. and Carol E. Teplick, $200; John C. and Betty W. Raggett, $100;
- Diane and David Daniell, $100; William H. Brigham, $2,000; Mrs. Martha Tate, $100; N. and Fr. V. Kordomenos, $125; Mobile Lumber and Building Materials, $500;
- Dr. Fern E. Asma, $100; David C. and Lynn C. Muscat, $100; James A. Bixler, $500; Robert R. and Elaine Sanford, $100;
- Dr. W. and Susan Wetelecki, $250; Dr. Robert D. and Leslie Lerner, $100; Mrs. John R. Scheuermann, $350; Betty S. Crane, $50;
The Rich campaign's biggest expenditures for the filing period included: $4,250, One Media; $17,7235.25, WPMI; $4,144.60, WKRG Radio; $4,316.60, One Media; $12,112.50, WKRG; $2,000, WABB; $4,250, WKRG; and $8,355.50, WALA.
Click here for complete details of Mrs. Rich's 10-5 day pre-election filing.