The Political Wrap
Erwin rolls out heavy artillery in D.A. race
By Chip Drago
Mobile Bay Times
Mark Erwin will roll out the heavy artillery in his GOP campaign for district attorney Thursday, March 25 with a fund raising reception from 5-7 p.m. at the home of Matt and Phyllis Metcalfe here.
The host list for the affair ranges widely across the local political landscape, from ex-congressman Sonny Callahan to lobbyist Palmer Hamilton, from former Mobile Mayor Mike Dow to ex-City Councilwoman Bess Rich, from Mobile County License Commissioner Kim Hastie to Prichard Mayor Ron Davis, a retired Mobile County sheriff's deputy.
Erwin is a 41-year-old Mobile
attorney and former chairman
of the Mobile County Republican
Party. He and Ashley Rich, a
longtime assistant district
attorney and member of the
local GOP executive committee,
are vying to succeed District
Attorney John M. Tyson Jr.
Tyson is retiring after 16 years
in the position.
No Democrat has yet announced a campaign for the office. A Democrat has held the post since 1978 when then-Gov. Fob James appointed Chris Galanos to fill a vacancy created when Charlie Graddick was elected as the state's Attorney General. Galanos, now in private practice, tried to marshal support for a run but ultimately decided that Erwin and Rich had locked down too much backing for his attempted return to be viable. The party continues to search for a credible candidate to field in the race, according to interim party chairman Reggie Copeland Jr.
At a requested contribution of $500 per couple, the reception should raise about $70,000 for the Erwin campaign.
Party primary elections are June 1.
Hosts for the Erwin event are:
- Mr. & Mrs. Peter Albrecht; Mr. & Mrs. Doug Anderson; Dr. & Mrs. McCain Ashurst, II; Mr. Clay Barclay; Mr. Brent Barkin;
- Mr. & Mrs. Les Barnett; Mr. William Barnhill; Hon. Jim Barton; Mr. Jaime Betbeze; Randy and Deborah Bishop; Mr. Preston Bolt, Jr.;
- Mr. & Mrs. Billy Bolton; Mr. Claude D. Boone; Frank and Donna Brown; Mr. Neal Buchman; Mr. Tom Busby; M. Warren Butler;
- Mr. William Brehm; Hon. & Mrs. Sonny Callahan; Mr. Robert Campbell; Mr. & Mrs. Tom Clement; Hon. Spencer Collier;
- Gen. Gary Cooper; Riley and Penny Copeland; Braxton and Toni Counts; Mr. & Mrs. J. Patrick Courtney, III; Jim and Mickey Crosby;
- Duncan and Louise Crow; Mr. Dan Cushing; Mr. Steve Dampier; Hon. Randy Davis; Mr. Richard Davis; Hon. Ron Davis; Hon. Mike Dean;
- Michael C. Dow; Mr. J. Mike Druhan; Mike and Tanya Eubanks; Mr. David Evans; Hon. Chad Fincher; Mark and Suzy Foster;
- Mr. & Mrs. Lowell J. Friedman; Mr. Robert “Bobby” Frost; Mr. Marshall Gardner; Hon. Victor Gaston; Mr. Joseph Gerard; Hon. Rusty Glover;
- Mr. & Mrs. Ruffin Graham; Don and Jeanette Greene; Mr. & Mrs. James Grodnick; Mr. & Mrs. Rob Guthans; Mr. Palmer Hamilton;
- Mr. & Mrs. Terry Harbin; Mr. Lamar Harrison; Mr. Jeff J. Hartley; Mr. Greg Harvell; Hon. Kim Hastie; Mr. James L. Henderson;
- Sandy and Fontaine Howard; Hon. Connie Hudson; Mr. & Mrs. Scott Hunter; Hon. Jaime Ison; Mr. D.R. Jordan; Mr. Chris Kalifeh;
- Mr. & Mrs. Donald P. Kelly, Jr.; Mr. & Mrs. T. Keith King; W. Bradford Kittrell; Mr. & Mrs. Michael D. Knight; Mr. Goodman Ledyard;
- Mr. Greg Luce; Hon. Jerry Lundy; Mr. B.J. Lyon; Mr. & Mrs. Elliot B. Maisel, Dr. & Mrs. Mike Maitre, Sr.; Mr. & Mrs. T. Todd Martin, III;
- Mr. & Mrs. Edward R. Massey; Mr. Norman McCallister; Mrs. Susan McConnell; Mr. James “Jay” H. McDonald, Jr.; Mr. & Mrs. Matthew C. McDonald;
- Mr. & Mrs. Bert Meisler; Mr. & Mrs. Eddie Menton; Mr. & Mrs. Adam Metcalfe; Mr. Brian Metcalfe; Mr. Lee Metzger;
- Frank and Pam Millsaps; L. Daniel Mims; Mr. Clifton Morrissette; Mr. Harris Morrisette; Austin and Kelli Mulherin; Dr. Louie and Marsha Naman;
- Mrs. Marcelle Naman, Hon. Donald Nelson, Mr. & Mrs. John Nixon, Hon. Stephen Nodine, Mr. Noah “Trey” P. Oliver, III;
- John and Kathleen Peavy, Mr. E.B. Peebles, III, Hon. Byron Pittman, Mr. & Mrs. Fred Pollman, Hon. Loretta Presnell, Mr. & Mrs. George Radcliff;
- Mr. & Mrs. Austin Rainwaters, Dr. Leonard and Bess Rich, Rayford and Vicki Richardson, Tim and Phyllis Richardson, Mr. & Mrs. Pete Riehm;
- Mr. Andy Robbins, Drs. Max and Mandy Rogers, Mr. Jay Ross, Buddy and Mickie Russell, Scott and Ruth Rye, E.J. and Jan Saad;
- Mr. & Mrs. John Saint, Harry and Aline Satterwhite, Mr. & Mrs. Frank Seltzer, Hon. Al Sessions, Mr. Kirk Shaw, Chris and Susan Smith;
- Mr. & Mrs. Russell Steiner, Hon. William F. Stewart, III, Mr. Sandy Stimpson, Mike and Charlene Thompson, Jay and Eran Turner;
- Drs. Donnie and Shannon Tyler, Mr. Michael Upchurch, Dr. William & Marietta Urquhart, Mr. William H. Wasden;
- Mr. Paul Weaver, Richard and Lane Weavil, Judson W. Wells, Mr. & Mrs. Paul Wesch, Mr & Mrs. Blacksher White-Spunner;
- Hon. Ken Williams, Mr. Robert A. Williams, Stephen R. Windom, Hon. Marilyn Wood, David P. York and Mr. & Mrs. Jay York.